Martina Vancena, Cogsy’s head of growth, dives deep into the most invaluable insights gathered from hundreds of conversations with DTC brands.
Having the right kind of conversations with your market can make or break your business. And in our case, these conversations with DTC brands are crucial to building a product that makes operators' lives easier.
In this episode, you’ll find out what the industry’s common struggles, challenges, and trends are, including:
- Top 3 inventory challenges for DTC brands these days
- How brands can identify operational gaps
- How to protect your operations in a subscription-based model
Meet Martina Vancena
Martina Vancena, Cogsy’s head of growth, spends much of her time interacting with DTC brands and learning from them.
In her conversations, she has explored the most common patterns, DTC trends, and challenges faced by DTC brands today. This allows her to provide invaluable insight into how Cogsy can better serve clients and build a better product.
Before joining Cogsy, Martina worked in ecommerce partnerships since 2018. During this year, she established several partnerships at Loop. In 2020, she was already leading the partnerships team at Octane AI, a marketing platform for Shopify stores.
The Checkout episode 37 unpacks:
In today’s episode, Martina shares some of the most common trends and challenges DTC brands are facing these days. Here are the highlights:
[2:38] The most common challenges among DTC brands
- The #1 inventory challenge that DTC brands are facing right now
- What Cogsy is doing to help brands be more proactive
[7:50] Biggest operational decisions for DTC brands
- Operators ask themselves, “How do I ensure that we are growing, that we’re trending up into the right, but also ensuring that we aren’t overstocked?”
[11:48] What brands love about Cogsy
- Ability to influence the accuracy of Cogsy's forecasts
- “Our [Cogsy’s] growth plan and marketing events features really get people fired up”
- How Cogsy’s new functionality to merge SKUs will help you create more accurate forecasts and keep data cleaner
[15:20] Coming soon from Cogsy
- How location support will help brands have more visibility over inventory by location
[20:00] What do brands think about moving to a “subscription-based” model
- “I think that subscriptions make a lot of sense. However, when it comes to the operational side, products that are on subscription are always sort of a risk. There's always a risk of them [customers] canceling if the brand can't fulfill that order if they're out of stock.”
- Why reserving safety stock for subscription-based customers is crucial
- How Cogsy helps subscription businesses protect their operations
[23:00] The importance of identifying operational gaps in your brand
- “Prioritizing the biggest operational gap, telling us why that is so important to you and why that affects your business so heavily. That is something that we can act on immediately”
- Cogsy’s growth team and product team are currently optimizing for learning from brands in order to optimize for impact